Choosing a Hospital
Most women don’t think much about where they will deliver their baby until late in their pregnancy, but you may want to consider where you will deliver your baby earlier and be sure to find an obstetrician or prenatal provider that delivers at your preferred hospital.
When considering a hospital, it’s a good idea to take a tour. You’ll want to look for a warm and clean environment, birthing suites where you can labor and deliver and overall aesthetics. But be sure to go deeper than that. Look for:
- Staff: Did you get to meet some of the nurses in the unit? Were they warm, professional, experienced?
- Expertise: Even if your pregnancy is normal, you’ll want to be sure the hospital can handle any emergency. Does the hospital have around-the-clock perinatal and neonatal specialists? What level is the hospital’s neonatal intensive care unit?
- Anesthesia: If you are choosing to use anesthesia, does the hospital provide specialized maternity anesthesiologists? Are they available 24/7?
- Natural Childbirth: Does the hospital offer natural options, such as hyrdrotherapy, birthing balls, aromatherapy, and doula support.
- Rooming In or Out: Do you have the option of keeping your baby with you or perhaps sending your baby to a nursery when you need some rest? Can your support person stay in your room?
- Breastfeeding: Does the hospital provide lactation specialists?
Take a Tour
We invite you to join LAH as our guest to tour the Birthplace, to ask questions and familiarize yourself with our facility. This tour can be done anytime during your pregnancy or if you are beginning to plan a pregnancy.
Please meet in the lobby of LAH about 5 to 10 minutes before the tour begins. We will meet first to provide an overview of services and give you an opportunity to ask questions. A walk through of the BirthPlace will follow.
Please note: Each person attending the tour must bring his/her photo ID.
BirthPlace Tour Dates
- 1st & 3rd Tuesday of each month, 6-7 pm
- 1st & 3rd Sunday of each month, 8:30-9:30 am & 10 am to 11 am
Tours will not take place on the following holidays:
- New Years Eve
- New Years Day
- Fourth of July
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Day
- Mothers Day
- Fathers Day
- Super Bowl Sunday
See our virtual tour.
Use Online Registration.